50 USC § 441n. Program on recruitment and training
(1) The Director of National Intelligence shall carry out a program to ensure that selected students or former students are provided funds to continue academic training, or are reimbursed for academic training previously obtained, in areas of specialization that the Director, in consultation with the other heads of the elements of the intelligence community, identifies as areas in which the current capabilities of the intelligence community are deficient or in which future capabilities of the intelligence community are likely to be deficient.
(2) A student or former student selected for participation in the program shall commit to employment with an element of the intelligence community, following completion of appropriate academic training, under such terms and conditions as the Director considers appropriate.
(3) The program shall be known as the Pat Roberts Intelligence Scholars Program.
In carrying out the program under subsection (a), the Director shall—
(1) establish such requirements relating to the academic training of participants as the Director considers appropriate to ensure that participants are prepared for employment as intelligence professionals; and
(2) periodically review the areas of specialization of the elements of the intelligence community to determine the areas in which such elements are, or are likely to be, deficient in capabilities.
(c) Use of funds
Funds made available for the program under subsection (a) shall be used—
(1) to provide a monthly stipend for each month that a student is pursuing a course of study;
(2) to pay the full tuition of a student or former student for the completion of such course of study;
(3) to pay for books and materials that the student or former student requires or required to complete such course of study;
(4) to pay the expenses of the student or former student for travel requested by an element of the intelligence community in relation to such program; or
(5) for such other purposes the Director considers reasonably appropriate to carry out such program.
(July 26, 1947, ch. 343, title X, §1022, as added Pub. L. 111–259, title III, §311(a), Oct. 7, 2010, 124 Stat. 2662.)