32 CFR 2400.26: Access by historical researchers and former Presidential appointees.
(a) The requirement in Section 4.1(a) of Executive Order 12356 that access to classified information may be granted only as is essential to the accomplishment of authorized and lawful Government purposes may be waived as provided in paragraph (b) of this section for persons who:
(1) Are engaged in historical research projects, or
(2) Previously have occupied policy-making positions to which they were appointed by the President.
(b) Waivers under paragraph (a) of this section may be granted only if the Director, Office of Science and Technology Policy:
(1) Determines in writing that access is consistent with the interest of national security;
(2) Takes appropriate steps to protect classified information from unauthorized disclosure or compromise, and ensures that the information is safeguarded in a manner consistent with Executive Order 12356;
(3) Limits the access granted to former presidential appointees to items that the person originated, reviewed, signed, or received while serving as a presidential appointee; and
(4) Has received a written agreement from the researcher or former presidential appointee that his notes can be reviewed by OSTP for a determination that no classified material is contained therein.