32 CFR 1909.14: Determinations by tasked officials.
(a) Required determinations.
The tasked parties as specified below shall respond in writing to the Coordinator with recommended findings to the following issues:
(1) That a serious professional or scholarly research project by the requester is contemplated (by D/CSI);
(2) That such access is clearly consistent with the interests of national security (by originator and interested party, if any);
(3) That a non-disclosure agreement has been or will be executed by the requester (or research associate, if any) and other appropriate steps have been taken to assure that classified information will not be disclosed or otherwise compromised (by Director of Personnel Security and representative of the Office of General Counsel);
(4) That a pre-publication agreement has been or will be executed by the requester (or research associate, if any) which provides for a review of notes and any resulting manuscript (by Director of Personnel Security and representative of the Office of General Counsel);
(5) That the information requested is reasonably accessible and can be located and compiled with a reasonable effort (by D/CSI and originator);
(6) That it is reasonably expected that substantial and substantive government documents and/or information will be amenable to declassification and release and/or publication (by D/CSI and originator);
(7) That sufficient resources are available for the administrative support of the researcher given current mission requirements (by D/CSI and originator); and,
(8) That the request cannot be satisfied to the same extent through requests for access to reasonably described records under the Freedom of Information Act or the mandatory declassification review provisions of Executive Order 12958 (by Coordinator, D/CSI and originator).
These responses shall be provided expeditiously on a “first-in, first-out” basis taking into account the business requirements of the tasked offices and consistent with the information rights of members of the general public under the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act. The Agency will utilize its best efforts to complete action on requests under this part within thirty (30) days of date of receipt.